Emily Burridge Solo Cello
Using sampling and looping technology, Emily has developed an exciting and innovative program of new music for the cello.
“Fascinating and unique” – The Musician
“Spellbinding innovative performance” – Nexus
“Music that is deep, thoughtful and also lifts your spirits” – European Progressive Music
Mellow Cello Music
Solo performance productions include:
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ (1hr 15mins)
- ‘Out of the Blue’ (45 minutes)
- ‘From Bach to the Amazon’ (1 hr 20 mins)
- ‘Out of the Blue’ & ‘Into the Amazon’ (50 minutes)
- Outreach ‘Into the Amazon’ (25 minutes)
- Seasonal candle lit performances of the Bach suites and music from ‘Out of the Blue’. (1hr 15 minutes)
For concert booking enquiries please e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The concert productions ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ and ‘From Bach to the Amazon’ bring together her classical foundations and her compositional and improvisational abilities. Through employing modern sampling and looping technology, Emily has developed an exciting and innovative program of new music for the cello. The result is a ‘spellbinding innovative performance’.
The instrument by nature is sonically linear, but with the looping pedals operated by her feet Emily can play the cello, record harmonies and recreate her multi tracked compositions live, fluidly crossing genres both classical and contemporary.
Live performance Chartres Cathedral France 17th July 2016 ‘Summer sunday evening concert’
Bach & music from Out of the Blue
Performance length: One hour and fifteen minutes
The concert program includes the G major suite for solo cello by J.S. Bach and Emily’s acclaimed solo cello compositions from her ‘Out of the Blue’ series of pieces which Emily effectively recreates using the sampling pedals.
The video excerpt is from a live performance in Chartres Cathedral 2016 and features her composition ‘Andiamo’ from her fourth CD ‘Out of the Blue’.
Out of the Blue
Performance length: Forty minutes
This is a forty-five minute solo performance for festivals and music clubs. Emily has developed an exciting and innovative program of new music for the cello through employing modern sampling and looping technology. The result is a “spellbinding innovative performance” – Nexus.
From Bach to the Amazon
Performance length: one hour & twenty minutes
The first half of the performance includes the unaccompanied cello works drawn from the G major suite by JS Bach and her own compositions “Out of the Blue”. Along with her solo compositions Emily adds the sounds and experiences brought back from her times living with the Xavante tribe in the Amazon.
Singing is central to the Xavante culture and Emily was invited to record their songs. With these recordings Emily has produced ‘Into the Amazon’ and through the performance of this production takes the audience on a brief journey into an Amazonian Indian village commencing with birds at dawn followed by recordings of songs sung by both groups and individuals which she accompanies with solo ‘cello compositions included on her album ‘Into the Amazon’.
Seventy five projected images accompany the ‘Into the Amazon’ performance. Including photos of fauna and flora of the Amazon by kind permission of the acclaimed photographer Sue Cunningham and photos of Xavante tribes people taken by Emily.
“The audience experienced an evening of ethereal, beautiful and an emotional combination of images and music, totally enjoyable evening.” Christine Pacey – Hinton Martel Church.
“Emily Burridge’s ‘Out of the Blue and Into the Amazon’ is nothing short of inspirational. The first half interweaves classical unaccompanied cello works drawn from the G major suite by JS Bach with her own compositions. Clever use of technology allows her to create multi-tracked pieces in a live setting which segue in and out of the familiar classical repertoire into her own dreamy creations.
A consummate musician, she also has a wonderful ability to communicate with her audience, rendering the whole performance as intimate as it is accomplished. The second half takes the audience on a fascinating journey into the world of the Xavante natives in the Amazon.
Striking photographic images and recordings of their prayers and songs are accompanied by Emily’s own haunting and lyrical cello music. It is peaceful, spiritual and atmospheric; a visual and aural wonderland into which the audience is gently drawn.” Sarah Newitt (Rural tour concert promoted by Dorset Artsreach)
In this video Emily demonstrates her use of looping pedals and plays extracts of two pieces “Globalisation” and “Rain Man Sings” from her production “Into the Amazon”
Out of the Blue & Into the Amazon
Performance length: Fifty minutes
A combination of both performances, taken from the double CD, resulting a in fifty minute solo performance also suitable for festivals, music clubs and corporate events.
Technical information and requirements
Amplification – Emily supplies her own small PA which is suitable for small halls and churches. For bigger venues an in house PA is required. Projected images accompany the ‘Into the Amazon’ performance. A projector and surface onto which images can be projected is required.
“Into the Amazon” available as a 25-minute ‘Outreach performance and presentation’ – bringing an Amazonian village to schools and hospitals in the form of a musical performance.
The suites for unaccompanied ‘cello by JS Bach are considered the root of the cello repertoire and Emily’s journey in finding her interpretation and identity within them commenced while studying at the Royal College of Music with the late Amaryllis Fleming and further tuition with the highly esteemed late William Pleeth.
Emily has performed the Bach suites in many different environments and gives concerts by candlelight throughout the Christmas period and for special occasions.
For concert booking enquiries please e mail: email@example.com
The highlight from 2016 was performing “Bach & music from Out of the Blue” in Chartres Cathedral, France for their summer concert series. Over the last few years Emily has established a strong reputation with her unique solo production touring in the UK and concerts abroad.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Calne Festival of Music & Arts 2015
- “Bach & Music from out of the Blue” St Mary’s Church, Shroton & St Peter’s Church, Shaftesbury
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Barnard Castle international festival of music 2013
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” St Mary’s Church Alvediston 2013 & St James’s Church Pilton 2013
- “Music from Out of the Blue” Equator WOW Festival 2013, Women of the World, London.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” St. Ives Festival , Zennor Church, Cornwall UK
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Hayle – Rural tour venue Cornwall.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Rural Tour – Various Venues Dorset. Promoted by Dorset Artsreach.
- “Music from Out of the Blue & Into the Amazon” Clarence House, London.” Start – A Garden Party to make a difference” Organised by The Princes Foundation.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Warneford Chapel, Oxford. Promoted by Oxford Contemporary Music, ” Into the Amazon” Ashleywood Farm Music Festival, Dorset.
- “Bach & music from Out of the Blue” McQueen’s Club, London.
- “Out of the Blue & Into the Amazon” Rivenstone Festival – Dartmoor. Main Stage.
- “Into the Amazon” in collaboration with the photo exhibit “Heart of Brazil” by international photographer Sue Cunningham. Brazilian Embassy in London. The first performance “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Butley Priory Music Series, Suffolk.
- “Music from Out of the Blue” Hindon “Peace wins Japan” private concert.
- Warneford Hospital, Oxford. “Into the Amazon” ‘out reach” performance.
- Emily integrated within the performance a storytelling approach to the performance as she related her experiences of living with tribal people in the forests of Brazil.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Harcourt Arboretum, Oxford. Another fitting environment for this production. Event organised by OCM – Oxford Contemporary Music.
- Donhead St Mary Church, Dorset. Benefit concert for the Xavante Tree Nursery initiative.
- Shaftesbury Arts Centre Dorset.