Emily Burridge solo cello performance productions
Out of the Blue & Into the Amazon/From Bach to the Amazon
Along with her solo compositions from the Bach & Out of the Blue production Emily adds the sounds and experiences brought back from her times living with the Xavante tribe in the Amazon.
Into the Amazon is an innovative solo cello production initiated by Emily’s personal experience of living and working with the Xavante, a tribal community in the Amazon of Brazil who have a tradition of singing at the core of their culture.
Through integrating within her solo ‘cello composition her field recordings of both the Xavante songs and recordings from their forest and community environment she successfully takes the audience on a musical adventure into an Amazonian Indian village.
Into the Amazon is the second CD on Emily’s double CD release ‘Out of the Blue & Into the Amazon’ and you can listen to extracts of the music here: Into the Amazon
Program length: Into the Amazon full production 25 minutes and combined within the ‘Out of the Blue’ /’Bach to the Amazon’ concert program : 1hr 20 minutes.
(Optional) Seventy five projected images accompany the ‘Into the Amazon’ performance. Including photos of fauna and flora of the Amazon by kind permission of the acclaimed photographer Sue Cunningham and photos of Xavante tribes people taken by Emily. (Some of the images can be seen in the following stills video which features one of the songs from the production.
Review “Striking photographic images and recordings of their prayers and songs are accompanied by Emily’s own haunting and lyrical cello music. It is peaceful, spiritual and atmospheric; a visual and aural wonderland into which the audience is gently drawn.” Sarah Newitt (Rural tour concert promoted by Dorset Artsreach)
In this video Emily demonstrates her use of looping pedals and plays extracts of two pieces “Globalisation” and “Rain Man Sings” from her production “Into the Amazon”
A desire to further an awareness of tribal peoples through her musical productions she has added to the ‘Into the Amazon’ production ‘Sisters in the Forest’ – new looping cello composition 2017 inspired by a Survival international moving account of two sisters – last surviving members of an Awa tribal community in Brazil who having been cured of TB ran away from the reservation where they were told that they could now live and disappeared back into the Amazon forest.
“The audience experienced an evening of ethereal, beautiful and an emotional combination of images and music, totally enjoyable evening.” Christine Pacey – Hinton Martel Church.
“Emily Burridge’s ‘From Bach to the Amazon’ is nothing short of inspirational. The first half interweaves classical unaccompanied cello works drawn from the G major suite by JS Bach with her own compositions. Clever use of technology allows her to create multi-tracked pieces in a live setting which segue in and out of the familiar classical repertoire into her own dreamy creations.
A consummate musician, she also has a wonderful ability to communicate with her audience, rendering the whole performance as intimate as it is accomplished. The second half takes the audience on a fascinating journey into the world of the Xavante natives in the Amazon.
“Into the Amazon” available as a 25-minute ‘Outreach performance and presentation’ – bringing an Amazonian village to schools and hospitals in the form of a musical performance.
Program length: (25 mins)
Striking photographic images and recordings of their prayers and songs are accompanied by Emily’s own haunting and lyrical cello music. It is peaceful, spiritual and atmospheric; a visual and aural wonderland into which the audience is gently drawn.” Sarah Newitt (Rural tour concert promoted by Dorset Artsreach)
Feed back concerts in schools 2018
Milton Abbey School Thank you to Emily Burridge – cello who gave a stunning recital last night in the Kings Room. She impressed and inspired guests and pupils with her wide ranging repertoire as she took us from Bach’s third suite in C major cello to the heart of the Amazon, which has inspired much of her own compositions. In a multimedia production, and using modern sampling technology to integrate field recordings from the Amazon and singing by the Xavante tribe, we were shown the full range of her talents and left with a greater understanding of the difficulties facing tribal communities today in Brazil.
Technical information and requirements
Amplification – Emily supplies her own small PA which is suitable for small halls and churches. For bigger venues an in house PA is required. Projected images accompany the ‘Into the Amazon’ performance. A projector and surface onto which images can be projected is required.
For international bookings Emily has an electric cello which travels in the hold of a plane and this helps with budgets for international bookings. It is also used for festival bookings
Other Solo Cello Productions Include:
Over the last few years Emily has established a strong reputation with her unique solo production also listed as ‘Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon’ (with movements from a Bach suite integrated into the concert program)
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ Festival of Chichester St John’s Chapel June 2018′
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ Kino Teatr St Leonard’s on Sea June 2018
- ‘From Bach to the Amazon’ Milton Abbey School concert series June 2018
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ Winterborne Tomson Church Dorset May 2018
- ‘Out of the Blue & Into the Amazon’ ‘Unplugged’ East Bridgford Hill April 2018
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ The Silk Mill Frome ‘Outside insight concert series’ October 2017
- “Bach & music from Out of the Blue” in Chartres Cathedral, France for their summer concert series 2016
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Calne Festival of Music & Arts
- “Bach & Music from out of the Blue” St Mary’s Church, Shroton & St Peter’s Church, Shaftesbury
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Barnard Castle international festival of music 2013
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” St Mary’s Church Alvediston 2013 & St James’s Church Pilton 2013
- “Music from Out of the Blue” Equator WOW Festival, Women of the World, London.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” St. Ives Festival , Zennor Church, Cornwall UK
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Hayle – Rural tour venue Cornwall.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Rural Tour – Various Venues Dorset. Promoted by Dorset Artsreach.
- “Music from Out of the Blue & Into the Amazon” Clarence House, London.” Start – A Garden Party to make a difference” Organised by The Princes Foundation.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Warneford Chapel, Oxford. Promoted by Oxford Contemporary Music, ” Into the Amazon” Ashleywood Farm Music Festival, Dorset.
- “Bach & music from Out of the Blue” McQueen’s Club, London.
- “Out of the Blue & Into the Amazon” Rivenstone Festival – Dartmoor. Main Stage.
- “Into the Amazon” in collaboration with the photo exhibit “Heart of Brazil” by international photographer Sue Cunningham. Brazilian Embassy in London. The first performance “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Butley Priory Music Series, Suffolk.
- “Music from Out of the Blue” Hindon “Peace wins Japan” private concert.
- “Into the Amazon” ‘out reach” performance. Warneford Hospital, Oxford. Emily integrated within the performance a storytelling approach to the performance as she related her experiences of living with tribal people in the forests of Brazil.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Harcourt Arboretum, Oxford. Production – Oxford Contemporary Music.
- Donhead St Mary Church, Dorset. Benefit concert for the Xavante Tree Nursery initiative.
- Shaftesbury Arts Centre Dorset.