Emily Burridge solo cello performance productions
Bach & music from Out of the Blue
Combining classical with contemporary through utilising sampling and looping technology, Emily has developed an exciting and innovative program of new music for the cello.
“Fascinating and unique” – The Musician
“Spellbinding innovative performance” – Nexus
“Music that is deep, thoughtful and also lifts your spirits” – European Progressive Music
Bach & music from Out of the Blue
Program length: (1 hr 15 mins)
Emily Burridge is a virtuoso cellist, who with deft improvisational and composing skills creates sublime music, fluidly crossing genres both classical and contemporary. This concert program brings together her classical foundations with her compositional and improvisational abilities.
The first part of the concert includes one of the suites for solo cello by J S Bach currently either the C major, G major or D minor.
Why ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ ? It was Johann Sebastian Bach who first wrote music for solo cello. Emily’s love and fascination for the Bach suites commenced under the tutelage of the late Amaryllis Fleming when she was studying with a scholarship at the Royal College of Music. The Bach suites have made a concert program of solo cello music the norm and Emily as a composer is inspired to write compositions for solo cello to create a contemporary second part to the program and through employing the use of sampling and looping pedals originally designed for guitar can re-create in concert multi-layered harmonious compositions .
“Clever use of technology allows her to create multi-tracked pieces in a live setting which segue in and out of the familiar classical repertoire into her own dreamy creations… “
Out of the Blue
This is a series of compositions whereby the cello becomes a voice for her personal experiences, and emotions, and through utilising modern sampling and looping technology operated by her feet she records harmonies and recreates her multi tracked compositions live in concert.
Hailed as a ‘spellbinding innovative performance’.
This video is an excerpt of her concert performance in Chartres Cathedral 2016 and features her composition ‘Andiamo’ from her fourth CD ‘Out of the Blue’.
This video is Emily playing the ‘Prelude’ of the G major suite by J.S.Bach in a private setting.Filmed & produced by Tchad Findlay October 2017
‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ live performance recordings
This video features a short performance excerpt of a new composition ‘At the turning of the world’ filmed by a member of the public during it’s first performance October 2017
‘Sisters in the Forest’ – new looping cello composition 2017 inspired by a Survival international moving account of two sisters – last surviving members of an Awa tribal community in Brazil who having been cured of TB ran away from the reservation where they were told that they could now live and disappeared back into the Amazon forest. Emily has great empathy for tribal people and is the founder of the ‘Indigenous People’s Cultural Support Trust’ registered charity no: 1050461
‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ video excerpts of concert Winterborne Tomson church April 2018 ‘Allemande’ from the C major suite for unaccompanied cello by JS Bach followed by an excerpt from the second half of the performance ‘music from Out of the Blue’
Live performance Chartres Cathedral France 17th July 2016 ‘Summer Sunday evening concert’
The concert program included the G major suite for solo cello by J.S. Bach and Emily’s acclaimed solo cello compositions from her ‘Out of the Blue’ series of pieces.
Technical information and requirements
Amplification – In using looping pedals amplification is required. She supplies her own small PA which is suitable for small halls and churches. For bigger venues an in house PA is required.
Emily uses either her acoustic cello or her electric cello depending on the venue and generally plays acoustic when a Bach suite is incorporated into the concert program.
For international bookings Emily uses the electric cello which travels in the hold of a plane and this helps with budgets for international bookings.
For concert booking enquiries please send an e mail to:
Other Solo Cello Productions Include:
Over the last few years Emily has established a strong reputation with her unique solo production.
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ Music on the Quantocks September 2021
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ Windsor Contemporary Art Fairs live stream 2020 & 2021
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ St Luke’s Campus Exeter University July 2019
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ Warner House Hotel , Chard, Somerset April 2019
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ Festival of Chichester St John’s Chapel June 2018′
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ Pyt House Kitchen Garden Wiltshire June 2018
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ Kino Teatr St Leonard’s on Sea June 2018
- ‘From Bach to the Amazon’ Milton Abbey School concert series June 2018
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ Winterborne Tomson Church Dorset May 2018
- ‘Out of the Blue & Into the Amazon’ ‘Unplugged’ East Bridgford Hill April 2018
- ‘Bach & music from Out of the Blue’ The Silk Mill Frome ‘Outside insight concert series’ October 2017
- “Bach & music from Out of the Blue” in Chartres Cathedral, France for their summer concert series 2016
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Calne Festival of Music & Arts
- “Bach & Music from out of the Blue” St Mary’s Church, Shroton & St Peter’s Church, Shaftesbury
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Barnard Castle international festival of music 2013
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” St Mary’s Church Alvediston 2013 & St James’s Church Pilton 2013
- “Music from Out of the Blue” Equator WOW Festival, Women of the World, London.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” St. Ives Festival , Zennor Church, Cornwall UK
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Hayle – Rural tour venue Cornwall.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Rural Tour – Various Venues Dorset. Promoted by Dorset Artsreach.
- “Music from Out of the Blue & Into the Amazon” Clarence House, London.” Start – A Garden Party to make a difference” Organised by The Princes Foundation.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Warneford Chapel, Oxford. Promoted by Oxford Contemporary Music, ” Into the Amazon” Ashleywood Farm Music Festival, Dorset.
- “Bach & music from Out of the Blue” McQueen’s Club, London.
- “Out of the Blue & Into the Amazon” Rivenstone Festival – Dartmoor. Main Stage.
- “Into the Amazon” in collaboration with the photo exhibit “Heart of Brazil” by international photographer Sue Cunningham. Brazilian Embassy in London. The first performance “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Butley Priory Music Series, Suffolk.
- “Music from Out of the Blue” Hindon “Peace wins Japan” private concert.
- “Into the Amazon” ‘out reach” performance. Warneford Hospital, Oxford. Emily integrated within the performance a storytelling approach to the performance as she related her experiences of living with tribal people in the forests of Brazil.
- “Bach, Burridge & Into the Amazon” Harcourt Arboretum, Oxford. Production – Oxford Contemporary Music.
- Donhead St Mary Church, Dorset. Benefit concert for the Xavante Tree Nursery initiative.
- Shaftesbury Arts Centre Dorset.